JUBBALAND STATE OF SOMALIA 5
CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (1 POSITION)
|JOB TITLE :
|Ministry /employing authority
||MINISTRY OF FINANCE
||36hours per week
The Civil Service Commission is established to oversee the proper functioning of the Civil Service of the Jubaland State and to ensure that the Civil Service is efficient and effective in serving the community, affordable within state budget resources, and based on merit and equality of opportunity.
The Civil Service Commission is currently recruiting to fill a vacant position of Revenue Director. This is a great opportunity for the right person to progress his/her career with the Civil Service and provide leadership in establishing this Ministry for the benefit of the people of Jubaland State of Somalia (JSS).
- Purpose of the position
This position is a managerial position as the head of the Customs and TaxationDepartment responsible for developing the necessary laws relating to revenue raising measures and for developing annual estimates of revenue for Customs and other taxation. The department would also advise on revenue sharing with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and establish general revenue relationships between the levels of government.
Duties include providing revenue estimates to the Budget Department for inclusion in the annual budget estimates, ongoing monitoring of revenue collections against budget estimates and providing the Treasurer with revenue projections, providing written policies and guidelines in relation to the collection of customs and taxation revenues, providing advice in regard to the necessary Lawson revenue raising and collection and working with Internal audit to ensure strict controls are in place in regard to revenue collection.
- Duties &Responsibilities
- Oversee performance and service delivery standards in the Customs & Taxation Department.
- Managing staff and performance to ensure that staff are provided adequate training so they are fully utilised to obtain optimal productivity;
- Work with the senior management of the Ministry of Finance to monitor and evaluate financial policies and strategies that impact on the raising and collection of revenue.
- Providing Treasury and Budget Departments with revenue projections
- Under the directives of the DG be responsible for the control over the collection of the government customs and taxation revenue through putting in place effective internal controls and financial systems,
- Leading the Customs and Taxationteam in monitoring revenue collections against budget estimates
- Ensuring that the legislation, procedures and policies in relation to revenue raising and collection are in place and adhered to by all Revenue collection agencies
- Receiving regular reports from revenue raising agencies in relation to revenue collections
- With the Internal Audit Unit, ensure regular reviews of internal controls of the revenue collection agencies are carried out and findings reported back to the DG.
- Where weaknesses have been identified in the revenue collection process, follow-up up with the revenue collection agency to ensure that based on internal audit units recommendations action has been takento rectify the weakness
- Developing revenue measures and estimates for inclusion in the annual budget presentation.
- Provide impartial, accurate and timely advice to the DG on financial policy matters.
- Provide advice and establish policies in relation to revenue sharing with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and general revenue relationships between the levels of government
- Contribute to the preparation of financial reports in relation to revenue collections against estimates, providing advice in relation to any variances between estimates and actual collections
- Supervise Customs and Taxation Department staff by:
- Assigning work schedules;
- Monitoring progress;
- Mentoring staff and promoting their professional development;
- Identifying and recommending training for staff; and
- Initiating disciplinary action
- Perform any other related duties as may be required.
- Qualifications Experience
- Professional accountancy qualification (CA, ACCA, CIPFA, CPA or equivalent
- Bachelor degree in business administration (BSc/BCom/BBA). – essential
- Masters degree in financial management, economics or accounting – desirable
- Sound public financial management skills.- essential
- Intermediate knowledge of accounting standards – essential
- Sound leadership and organisational development skills. – essential
- Computer literacy and familiarity with accounting software packages. – essential
- 5 years of work related experience.
- Must be able to make prudent financial and budgetary decisions as well as be proficient in managing financial data.
- Must be knowledgeable in accounting practices and procedures inclusive of cash management techniques.
- Ability to disseminate detailed information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Tactful and polite with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent listening and questioning skills
- Ability to present information in a clear and logical way
- Honest and fair in applying rules
- Ability to be firm and assertive when required by circumstances.
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan and organize work, including special assignments in order to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to be proactive and work unsupervised
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application to firstname.lastname@example.orgAnd CC to this Eemail@example.com by not later than 30th Oct 2022. Each application should include an updated CV, an application letter and contact Information for three work related referees. Applications not included all the above Information will not be reviewed.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Please quote the position you are applying for in the subject of the e-mail.
- Both CV and application letter should be sent as one attachment.
- Female and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
- Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you are shortlisted for an interview, you willbe required to come with your original academic and professional certificates during the interview day.
- Formore information, please visit the following websites:
Kismayo public notice boards